You have symptoms of thyroid dysfunction and their blood tests came back normal. Where do they go from there? We look at the thyroid as part of a hormone system and not as conventional medicine which looks at the thyroid alone.
There are many causes to thyroid dysfunction including excessive estrogen which blocks thyroid function. This is seen especially in the menopause and peri-menopausal years. The connection between thyroid hormone imbalance and menopause is often overlooked.
But did you know that depression, heart disease, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, PMS (premenstrual syndrome), menopausal symptoms, muscle and joint pains, irritable bowel syndrome, or autoimmune disease could actually indicate a problem with your thyroid?
The classic signs of a sluggish thyroid gland include weight gain, lethargy, poor quality hair and nails, hair loss, dry skin, fatigue, cold hands and feet, and constipation -- and these symptoms are relatively well known.
Liver dysfunction, insulin resistance and adrenal fatigue can also affect thyroid function and cause many of the same symptoms like cold hands and feet, hair loss, fatigue, constipation, memory loss, depression and many more.
In fact only about 20% of the women suffering from thyroid symptoms suffer from primary thyroid problems. The other 80% are suffering due to a primary problem elsewhere in the hormonal system that is causing decrease thyroid function.
For more information on specific thyroid conditions such as hypothyroidism, goiter, Hashimoto's Disease... click here
Testing salivary or blood levels of progesterone during the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle can be of great value, so that gentle replacement can be implemented if needed to reduce the negative impact of excess estrogen on the thyroid.
A Personalized Program is a great place to start! At Balanced Body Wellness Centre each person is treated as a unique individual. Our personalized programs promote natural hormonal balance with nutritional supplements, endocrine support formulas, dietary and lifestyle guidance.
Call 770-425-6068 or e-mail us today to get started!